It’s starting! PW’s Best Books will be out on Monday, but here’s the Amazon editors choices for the year:
1. The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death by Jaime Hernandez, Abrams Comic Arts
2. Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka and JH Williams III, DC 3. X’ed Out by Charles Burns, Pantheon
4. Market Day by James Sturm ,Drawn and Quarterly
5. King of the Flies: Hallorave (Vol. 1) by Mezzo, Fantagraphics Books
6. 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective by G.B. Trudeau, Andrews McMeel Publishing
7. Hellboy Volume 9: The Wild Hunt by Mike Mignola, Dark Horse
8. Acme Novelty Library #20 by Chris Ware, Drawn and Quarterly
9. Picture This: The Near-sighted Monkey Book by Lynda Barry , Drawn & Quarterly
10. Wednesday Comics by Neil Gaiman, et al, DC
A great showing and year for D&Q, no question. The only Fantagraphics book is one we’ve never seen nor heard of! To the library, Watson!
Picking The Art of Jaime Hernandez is a nice tribute to one of comics greatest living masters, but saluting his amazing work in Love & Rockets #3 might have been even better.
Link via J. Caleb Mozzocco.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.