The 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Award Nominees are out, including five in the comics category, for works which exemplify positive media portrayals of LGBT characters:
Outstanding Comic Book
• Avengers: The Children’s Crusade by Allan Heinberg, Marvel
• Batwoman by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman, DC Comics
• Secret Six by Gail Simone, DC Comics
• Veronica Presents: Kevin Keller by Dan Parent, Archie Comics
• X-Factor by Peter David, Marvel Comics
The GLAAD awards always come in for some criticism over choosing very mainstream titles over the world of indies, which are in theory far more LGBT friendly, but the point of the awards has always been to spotlight major media, so from that viewpoint it makes sense.
That said, it’s great to see Archie’s Kevin Keller storyline in there, and you’d have to consider that storyline a favorite.
ALSO: they might want to correct the typo in the story’s title on their info page: it’s VERONICA, not VONICA.
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.