The year creepeth on and now the Russ Manning Award nominees has just been announced. Presented to “the most talented newcomer” this award, named after the legendary Tarzan artist, salutes up and coming artists. Nominees are selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International. The winner is chosen by past Manning award winners and Russ Manning assistants and will ne annoucned during the Eisner Awards on July 25 at Comic-Con International in San Diego.
Past winners include Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, Goran Sudzuka, Eric Wight, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian, Eleanor Davis, Marion Churchland, and Tyler Crook. After a bit of controversy over the selection process for the last few years, these look to be back on track.
The 2014 nominees are:
• Aaron Conley, artist of Sabertooth Swordsman (Dark Horse)
• Vanesa R. Del Rey, artist of Hit (published by BOOM)
• Stephan Franck, writer/artist of Silver (published by Dark Planet)
• Anders Lazaret, artist of The Brave (published by Mythos Comics)
• Greg Smallwood, artist of Dream Thief (published by Dark Horse)
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.