Nominees for the 2010 Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award, recognizing some of the finest emerging cartoonists, were announced yesterday. The award is selected by a committee consisting of representatives of the West Coast Comics Club and Comic-Con International. Previous winners include Dave Stevens, Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, Goran Sudzuka, Eric Wight, R. Kikuo Johnson, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian, and Eleanor Davis, so as you can see, the award definitely has lived up to its billing. This year’s nominees:
• Marc Borstel, artist of The Misadventures of Clark and Jefferson (published by APE Entertainment)
• Marion Churchland, writer/artist of Beast (published by Image)
• Sarah Oleksyk, writer/artist of Ivy (self-published)
• Julian Totino Tedesco, artist of Unthinkable (published by BOOM!)
• Charles Paul Wilson III, artist of Stuff of Legends (published by Th3rd World)
Heidi MacDonald is the founder and editor in chief of The Beat. In the past, she worked for Disney, DC Comics, Fox and Publishers Weekly. She can be heard regularly on the More To Come Podcast. She likes coffee, cats and noble struggle.